All India Institute of Medical Sciences or AIIMS, as is it is commonly known, is the top Medical Institute and College in India. Every year, lakhs of students aspire to clear the prestigious AIIMS entrance exam to acquire admission into its medical courses. However, the sad fact of the matter is that the institute only picks up a handful from that big chunk. While, more than 90% have to look for other alternatives. So, the big question here is that how to be in that 10%?
While, every other person having an iota of information about entrance exams preparations in general, will be able to share the commonly known tips, it is the precise approach which still eludes many. And, here we need to discuss those minute, seemingly insignificant (yet pretty significant), and of course few well-known tips to prepare for AIIMS Entrance Exam Preparation 2018.
About AIIMS 2018
All India Institute of Medical Sciences conducts yearly entrance exam for the aspirants who have completed their class XII boards in the Science stream with PCB subjects. They could be from any board in India, but with a minimum passing percentage of 60%. The UG examination is held for admissions to MBBS and Bachelor of Surgery programs. On the same lines, the preparations have already begun for AIIMS 2018.
Being the most reputed exam, it surely is amongst the most difficult ones to crack as well. However, for the ones who are determined to make it through, AIIMS requires immense planning and efficient implementation.
- It is an essential eligibility criteria that the applicants should have cleared their class XII board exams with a minimum 60% aggregate and should be of 17 years and above, at the time of appearing
- In a new age approach, AIIMS conducts its entrance through the online mode, which makes the entire process easy and quick. Since, there is no time wasted on OMR sheets or paper collections
- Moreover, the online display screen keeps the candidate on track with the time and remaining questions
- Speaking of the question paper in general, it comprises of four sections – Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and General Knowledge + Reasoning. While, the first three sections carry 60 marks each, the last section on GK and reasoning becomes the joker in the pack, which sometimes helps to win /lose the game and carries 20 marks.
- Since, AIIMS provides +1 for every right answer and -1/3 for every wrong answer, it is an important strategy to follow, to avoid attempting ‘randomly’. It is better to attempt lesser questions with more surety than to attempt more of them wrongly.
The aforementioned avenues spoke about the key requirements that every applicant must understand before considering appearing for AIIMS. However, for a more comprehensive take on AIIMS entrance and to understand and channelize their means and modes of preparation for AIIMS 2018, applicants must study the past year trends thoroughly. This is in addition to the mock exams they need to take; learning the tips and tricks to select and move ahead with most simple questions, giving right answers; solving problems fast and lots more. However, they can learn all of this and more, under expert guidance of experienced coaches and medical experts in a much better manner. Aspirants can do that by joining online or offline coaching, wherein they will have access to streamlined and focused guidance for AIIMS 2018. Even if they decide to prepare on their own, understanding past year trends is very important.
Understand the Trends: Past Year Paper Analysis
Paper Analysis: 2017
- AIIMS is not an easy nut to crack and just like past years, 2017 again saw a tough paper on the platter.
- Wherein, both the Physics and Chemistry sections were found to have tricky questions and were adjudged as tough. They comprised a mix of both theoretical and numerical questions
- Physics– While, the entire section seemed to be tough, it was termed so because the numerical problems seemed to take up a lot of time. Students found the problems to be pretty lengthy and hence, a lot of time had to be devoted to them. Essentially the problems belonged to areas like Electricity and Magnetism & Mechanics.
- Chemistry– Here again, the main concern seemed to be lengthy and tricky numerical problems. Questions from Organic Chemistry seemed to be the toughest.
- Biology– The entire section seemed to be biased towards questions pertaining General Biology and Human Physiology.
- While, the General Knowledge section seemed to focus the most on current affairs and new schemes launched by the GOI
Paper Analysis: 2016
- Again, in the year 2016, The Physics and Chemistry sections seemed to be tougher that Biology and GK+ Reasoning.
- While, both the above mentioned sections were tough, Physics seemed to be tougher with lengthy and time consuming numerical problems.
- The Biology section seemed decent, as was the GK+ Reasoning
Paper Analysis: 2015
- Just like the case in 2016 and 2017, the year 2015 had also observed that Physics seemed to be the toughest nut to crack, while Biology and GK the most moderate.
- However, the numerical problems in both Physics and Chemistry section were observed to be Reason Assertion based, and hence, tough to solve
While, aspirants need to study detailed subject and topic analysis of the last five years, the above mentioned information will be of some quick help. Such an analysis ensures that you start your preparations with thorough planning and make a strategy before you start.
- It is much required to allocate whatever time you have at hands till AIIMS 2018 to important topics, and run with a time table
- One needs to be pretty disciplined to follow that time table and ensure that the mind and body work in unison for the same
- For this, always keep ample time 7-8 hours/day for sleep. A tired mind and body, will never be of help. So, it’s important to give them ample rest.
- Keep around 30 minutes of time for activities like a brisk walk/meditation or a quick jog. You could also run some quick house errands in this time. Such free periods keep you cool and energized for the next few hours of continuous and undisturbed studies.
- One must always focus on practicing by writing. While, we might think that we remember all steps, names and nomenclatures etc. It is important to bring that to the paper correctly.
- Test series are a great help, so solve them rigorously and if you are not seeking coaching support, ask a school teacher, or a known to professor, to help evaluate that for you. This will act as a mirror to your preparation status and help change your strategy mid-way, if required.
Always remember that efforts never go waste, but a systematic and strategized implementation of the same can bring to you the desired results. So, following the aforementioned tips and tricks will surely help a great deal to taste sure success in AIIMS 2018. All the Best!
Author Bio: Nishant Sinha is the co-founder of eMedicalPrep, an Online Medical Coaching platform for Medical Entrance Exams like NEET (earlier known as AIPMT), AIIMS and other school entrance exams aiming for career in Medical sector. He is passionate about making Doctors and Medical aspirants meet their goal (NEET or AIIMS). The mission was clear to give breakthrough education to the students in the field of online Medical Exam Preparations and make them pass with flying colors in exams such as NEET, AIIMS or other medical entrance exams.
For this dream of his, he left his lucrative career in one of the American Management Consulting firms named Kurt Salmon Associates. He can rightly be called an optimistic entrepreneur and passionate educationist.